2011/09/19

The difference between the two pair was like the difference between a sports car and a sport shoe

The difference between the two pair was like the difference between a sports car and a minivan. One of my favorite aspects of Mizuno’s running shoes is their signature Wave Plate-a firm TPU plastic plate that runs along the middle of the shoes soles. When combined with the shoes’ EVA cushioning, the Wave plate adds stbility, support, and - in the case of their trail shoes - a good measure of rock protection.

Over the last seven years, Mizuno has been working on their high-end tunning shoe, the Wave Prophecy. Sporting a radically different design, the Wave Prophecy represents the next evolution of their Wave Plate technology. Doing away with most of the shoe’s EVA foam cushioning, the Prophecy’s outsole is composed almost entirely of the Infinity Wave Plate, which consists of two full-length TPU plates connected at several points from end to end. The wave plate is designed to absorb impact and provide a more durable shoe and a more responsive feel.

Last March, I received a test pair of the Prophecys. While I was excited to try out this unique-looking shoe, I had my doubts. Although the shoe’s looks are intriguing, I wondered whether or not the shoes could live up to the hype (and their $200 price tag).

During my first few runs, the first thing I noticed was that despite the lack of foam cushioning, the shoes actually absorbed shock very well. The shoes did feel stiffer than most shoes that I’ve tired, but the Infinity Wave Plate acted like a leaf spring, contracting with the footstrike and rebounding at the toe-off. I was fine with the amount of cushioning, but people who want a cushy shoe might find it too firm for their tastes.

The Prophecys sport a firm forefoot section, which flexes to a point, then becomes rigid, adding power to the toe-off. The shoe had a very quick feel despite its relatively heavier weight (15oz for my size 11).

The shoe’s Dynamotion Fit upper is designed to fit like a second skin, expanding and contracting with the foot’s skin as it goes through the running motion. It feels like a very breathable sock, and it kept hot spots and blisters a bay during runs from 2-mile runs to 12-plus mile runs.

It’s also a good idea to keep in mind that EVA foam is what generally breaks down in a running shoe, hence the need to replace running shoes every 350 miles or so. With the Prophecy’s noted lack of EVA foam, the shoes have the potential to significantly outlast their predecessors.

created at: 2011/05/16

I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t experiencing some sort of placebo effect, so I took a few runs in my old shoes with the regular EVA foam. They felt softer, but now they felt too soft; it was like running in mud. The Prophecys took things to a whole new level for me; my old running shoes (my old favorite running shoes, I might add) felt nigh unwearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment